Gladys Berejiklian says the NSW government will dismantle a homeless settlement in Sydney’s city centre if council doesn’t “do the right thing” on Monday.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has issued a final ultimatum to City of Sydney council warning them to remove a homeless settlement in Sydney’s CBD, or the state government will.
Ms Berejiklian says the City of Sydney council needed to “do the right thing” at their meeting tonight to resolve the issue.
“They’ve got a meeting tonight, if they don’t act and use their existing powers we’re going to have to – but I want to stress, they’re powers that are very, very rarely used by the state government,” Ms Berejiklian told reporters on Monday in western Sydney.
“There are existing powers we could use which are quite direct and quite heavy-handed but there are other opportunities for us to look at the way we resolve this issue,” she said.
Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore previously said she wouldn’t support moving the homeless “without certainty they have support and permanent homes to go to.”
“That isn’t politicking, it is doing my job to support society’s most vulnerable, as my community expects,” Ms Moore said in a statement on Sunday.
Ms Berejiklian said Family and Community Services staff had been to the camp 44 times and found 70 people accommodation.
“Anybody who wants to be elsewhere will be provided that accommodation,” she said.
Click here to read more.