A dozen residents of Sydney’s disbanded tent city have ended up back on the streets two days after the Martin Place homeless community packed up.
Lanz Priestley, who’s become known as the ‘Mayor of Martin Place’, says the group numbered about 60 when it voluntarily left the heart of Sydney on Friday amid a political stand-off between city council and the NSW government.
Mr Priestley said 16 people had found shelter with friends or Facebook associates, but about 12 were sleeping rough again in various places around the CBD.
“The real concern for me is we know the people that we had already, but what’s happening to the people that are becoming homeless now,” he told AAP on Sunday.
Mr Priestley said the group ran into problems accessing their belongings on the weekend despite an agreement that it would be available to them around the clock after being taken to a council depot.
“That fell through,” he said.
Click here to read more.